This week marks the one year anniversary that a global pandemic was announced. We were sent home from work “for a few weeks” and we really thought it would all be over then. Here we are..the world indelibly changed: How we shop, how we work, how we socialize and even celebrate. Looking back, I didn’t see even a twinkle of this coming. So what have I been able to learn and observe this past year personally? Turns out, alot.
What I learned about myself during a global pandemic:
- I was in complete denial about where I was in my grief journey. I honestly thought I was doing well and functioning, which I was, however, life was crazy and we were always doing things so it was easy to bury what was really going on. Getting into a lockdown, with nowhere to go, forced me to deal with the emotions that were right there under the surface. With the use of my mindset tools I have to say I’m in a way better spot than I have been in my entire life.
- I am not quite as social as I thought I was. As much as I love people, I enjoyed not having to attend social functions and just being able to slow things down.
- I am super attached to my family. I mean, I knew I was, but now I REALLY KNOW. Being away from them during the lockdowns has been absolute torture. I’m just happy and thankful that between lockdown periods we’ve been able to be together.
- I found some hobbies. I love birds and I love photography (and the combination of the two)and I really love writing. Both of these hobbies have been a fantastic creative outlet for me and have been incredibly therapeutic.
- I am more productive working from home and I love working from home.
- I love shopping online, even for groceries. I would have everything delivered if I could. (we are almost there).
- I’m a pet person.
- I have awesome cooking and baking skills which have served me well, especially when bread was scarce and everything was closed (no takeout)
- I don’t need a gym to get in shape
- I am very open to a power greater than myself.
Cool and Awesome byproducts of the pandemic for me:
- I started this blog!
- I got really dialled in with nutrition and exercise
- I got out way more in nature
- I got really consistent with meditation
- I took long breaks from drinking
- I started coaching for Beachbody
- I discovered Epicure
- I got to spend tons of time with Mike
- I appreciate my family WAY more
- I get to work from home
- I can identify a lot more birds now
- I got a nice camera and I’m getting better at using it
- I did multiple puzzles
- We did a few road trips and had fun exploring
- I reconnected with old friends and found friendship with people that I didn’t realize I would.
- I got a new grandson!
The pandemic has been awful in so many ways. So many lives lost. So many businesses lost. So many people are struggling with mental health. Kids not being able to be normal kids. I am not making light. I know that I am so incredibly fortunate to be able to work and be safe and healthy here at home.
I have been up and down mentally but I chose to write about the positives today because that is what I am choosing to do from a mindset perspective. Let’s focus on the positive so that is what we continue to attract to ourselves.
Is there anything you learned about yourself during the past year? Did you develop a new skill or hobby? Comment and let me know!!
Leave a Reply